Had a discussion with some web editors from the Globe this weekend who offered some career advice:
- Print journalists should become multimedia journalists
- A reporter’s toolbox should contain social media of some sorts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- It’s a big plus if you know how to use Photoshop and Final Cut Pro
- Have a blog to show that you’re in the loop
- Watch what you say and do online. Expect to be Googled.
- Don’t put your Facebook page on your resume if there are things on it you don’t want your future employer to see
- Write. Write. Write. Write. Write. It’s what you do and who you are.